Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

7/18/12

Mixin it up, Before the Storm, daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Before the Storm, 2012, Jo-Ann Sanborn
oil on board, 6"x6"

I'm open to trying new things.  I used oils much earlier in my painting career, but have been firmly in the acrylic camp for a number of years.  I was given a gift of some water miscible oils, and thought it was time I gave them a fair chance. 

Oils certainly don't handle like acrylic.  First, my scrubbing method of painting just doesn't work.  It's mix the color, load the brush, place the stroke.  Ah, but I like to mix it up much more than that.  It was a struggle!

In addition, oils take far too much time to dry.  Instead of waiting half an hour to put on a new coat, it took several days.  So I next used my regular oils, and several hours later, still wet, despite using no extra oil.  So the drying time is an issue for me.

I like the ability to put on a layer, scumble on another and another, let it dry, cut into the painting again, and begin the process over.  With acrylics I build up a painting.  With the oils I make slippery mud! 

Another issue is the opening of the tubes.  Oils often require pliers!  I love the easy to open, user friendly Liqutex  acrylic caps that these hands can handle easily without extra tools. 


The feeling and handling of oils are completely different from my usual acrylics, but I managed to paint four small paintings that I'm pleased with.  You'll see them in the next few days.

Try, yes, change, no!   Just mixin' things up a bit.    

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I like the painting which clearly exudes the feeling of a storm.
The white sails against the turbulent gray sky create believable movement and atmosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...