Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

4/17/09

Smell of Spring, Daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn




Gardenia
7" x 5" (17.8cm x 12.7cm)
acrylic on Panel
$150 with FREE shipping and handling in the US
E-mail me for International shipping rates or other inquiries.



Spring is in the air on Marco Island as the scented flowers begin to bloom. The gardenia bush by my front door sends out a cloud of fragrance to be enjoyed by anyone coming up the walkway. It's very prolific, and I've place the blooms in small vases around the house as well. There's a wonderfully scented Confederate Jasmine over the garage door that's heavenly, too.

There's something romantic and timeless about the beautiful scent of the gardenia. Catching a whiff of the fragrance in the air when you least expect it is a special treat. I'll put a couple in the guest room for my daughter and her husband to enjoy on their visit here this week.


My first garden was given to me when I was six, a small plot between the walkway and the door. My mother said it was my garden, to do as a wanted, as long as I kept it up. Every year we would go to the nursery and pick out a few containers of starter plants. I learned a lot about both gardening and life as some tiny little stalks developed far beyond my expectations while others with much promise were a sorry disappointment.

Since that time I've always had a garden, but have to admit that since coming to Marco Island 16 years ago I was more attracted to the huge, large, bold green forms of dramatic foliage than the flowers themselves. I'd buy an orchid now and then but once the bloom was over the snails would eat the leaves into a pathetic eyelet and I'd loose interest.

Now, between the availability of beautiful, native plants at the Farmer's Market and the encouragement of my enthusiastic and knowledgeable gardening friend, I'm renewing my interest in both gardening and painting plants. The orchid plant on my kitchen counter has a slightly spicy scent and is one of my recent purchases. Will it live on? I'm excited to see where this will go!

Oh, and see my new post on color here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...