Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

10/4/10

Marooned, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on canvas, 5"x7"

Many artists have found the Everglades a wonderful place to paint an occasional painting, but few have made it their muse and their mission. Artist Sam Vinikoff, who painted the Everglades for many of his 91 was a dedicated Everglades artist. He passed on Saturday.

Sam did much of his work on site, coming out to paint even in advanced years and failing health. I considered Sam a competitor even though we've never met. I've often wondered if we'd cross paths out on some side road In the Fakahatchee or along the Loop Road. I'd planned to stop and say "hello" if it ever happened, and to tell him how much I enjoyed his work.

Sam's work can be seen all over Florida. You can take note of it when you visit the Big Cypress
Visitor Center. Rest in Peace, Sam.

1 comment:

carol l mckenna said...

Hi JoAnn ~ Fall in MA and I am blog hopping to my favorite blogs ~ Can see and feel the balmy breeze of the painting ~ Wonderful ~ hugs and namaste, Carol (artmusedogs)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...