Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

12/13/10

Lubbers! Palm painting by Everglades Artist Jo-Ann Sanborn


Today's painting is one that I've been working on over the weekend. This palm has personality plus, and caught my attention just begging to be painted.  It's a 36x24" size, nice for a palm portrait.  

The painting is about 3/4 complete, but since I work from a dark background to the light, it's not quite where it needs to be yet.  You can see that the dark, shadow values are in place, as are the mid-tones, but there's  no spark of sunlight.  I'll work on that today!

This little guy caught my attention, too, out on an Everglades trip last week.  It's an Eastern Lubber Grasshopper, and being from the north I didn't see my first one until a trip to the Everglades soon after arriving in Florida many years ago.  It was just one of the things that enchanted me, and still delights. 

The lubbers don't fly, can hop short distances, and mostly crawl.  If they are chewing on your best landscaping you might think them a pest  They're unappealing to birds because the emit a toxic substance and will also foam unpleasantly at the mouth when disturbed. 

But when you come upon a single fellow out in the Everglades with gorgeous coloring and spectaular size, they are a delight to enjoy. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...