Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

9/9/11

An Abstract Painting


Abstract Grid

acrylic on canvas, 30x30

Good morning.  While I still haven't resolved all the issues and work I had hoped to complete by taking a month off from writing this blog, I've missed you all and have decided that this blog, despite some problems with it, is important to me. 

I've been experimenting with both methods and materials, and really enjoyed doing this abstract piece.  While the Everglades landscape continues to be my muse, doing something completely different expands our thoughts and challenges us in new ways. 

In this piece, I used tape to block off the grid in the beginning, and added layers and layers of paint and glazes and more tape on and off, until the depth I was working toward was created.  Some layers were glazed on lightly, in other cases opaque paint was used.  There's a bit of gold in there, too. 

I'll show you some other new work and let you know what's going on in the arts on Marco Island as we go along.  In the meantime check my website for upcoming classes.  Thanks for waiting me out! 



5 comments:

Kathy said...

Have missed you too! Love this painting...reminds me of a stained glass window. Beautiful.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I'm glad you feel that way. I've enjoyed the connections I've made through my blog. I like the way you're always trying something new.

Marilyn said...

Beautiful colors - reminds me of a church stained glass window on a sunny day.

Judie said...

When I first saw the painting, I thought I had clicked on the wrong blog! It is very interesting, however. I am taking an abstract class later this month, a wide departure from my usual techniques.

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

Nice work on the abstract!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...