Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

2/15/12

The Moon goes for a Swim, daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

The Moon goes for a Swim, 2012, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on canvas, 24"x48"


Due to family circumstances beyond my control my time is not always my own, and sometimes a day does not go at all as I had envisioned.  As a result, I was getting a little low on inventory, and haven't been very faithful to my three times a week daily paintings lately.  I had three or four half finished larger Everglades paintings that needed attention, and a commission I've been neglecting, too.  

Right in the middle of telling myself to buckle down and get something finished, I awoke early one morning, looked out my back door--where I usually go for a bit of fresh air to see what the day smells like--well, really to greet the day, I suppose, and saw something most unusual.

From my vantage point the nearby homes were still in darkness.  Stars were sparkling in the sky and the dawn was just beginning to lighten the morning.  I knew the moon must be large, but couldn't see it from where I stood.  There was a slight breeze was ruffling the water, and then, to my absolute delight and surprise, I saw the silvery white moon taking a dip in my canal.  Backstroking! 

I couldn't wait to get to the studio to begin to paint this marvelous scene.  It's my habit to have a good supply of canvases of all sizes on hand and prepared and I was glad to find a large canvas just right for my subject.  The paint flew from my brushes onto the canvas.  About a week later and after several layers of softening glazes,  I stood back and said "done."

Now to get back to what I was doing before the moon turned my head.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...