Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn


The 99%, and Seven Palms and some Orange, daily painting by Everglades painter Jo-Ann Sanborn

Seven Palms and some orange, 2012, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 7"x5"
If you're here reading, there's a good chance you fall into the 1% bracket.  
I'm not talking about the "we are the 99%" slogan that addresses growing income inequity and wealth distribution in America between the wealthiest 1% and the rest of the US population.  I'm talking about the very special 1% of Americans who purchase original art to adorn and enhance their homes and enrich their lives. 
A while ago a gallery owner told me that only 1% of the American public purchase original art, and that the percent is much higher in Europe.  I've been unable to validate this statistic, but experience tells me that that if 100 people see my art in person that at least one will purchase.
I love this 1%.  Perhaps we share a love of handmade things. Perhaps we find connection to the value of the threatened Everglades landscape.  Perhaps we share the restorative quality of a walk on the beach, or are both in awe of the natural color show at sunset.  It maybe something you're not ready to put into words, but in some small way, arts speaks to you.  
You are the 1%.  The other 99 percent?  They're just not my customers.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...