Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

2/19/13

Questions daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Questions, 2013, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 5"x7"
 
Today's palm tree is sitting by a colorful evening sky.  I've done several daily palms lately, and some of them seem to be talking back!  Here's what today's brings to mind. 
 
When I was a teenager, growing up in a place where the sea met the shore, it was my habit to sit on the gray granite rocks and watch the tide come in and out with great regularity.  Sometimes the waves would barely caress the shore, and at other times pounce upon it with great urgency while I would sit and question meanings of life and love in the often black nature of teens.
 
A shell left onshore by the retreating tide, or a tidal pool no longer receiving a wash of  fresh water would signal a subtle change. I could never mark the exact moment that the sea decided "enough" and began to retreat, but knew that the tide had changed. 
 
It's still my habit to sit by the sea whenever possible.  These days, I prefer to do it with a nice glass of wine, and in a manner not nearly as dark.  The gulf is a little different, not nearly as deep and more of a gentleman than the North Atlantic, but there are still plenty of questions to ponder. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...