Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

4/17/13

Cameroon

Cameroon is lush and green, with the sea peppered with small fishing boats in the early morning.

My watercolor kit is shown above, with a few of the postcards I've painted from Cameroon. It's easy to use and I have everything I need, although I must admit that I enjoying the recharging time as much as working. Notice the small bookmark down in the left hand corner of me enjoying the sea.

The Cameroonian woman who came on aboard to answer questions said there are few native handcrafts on shore, but the traditional white costume she was wearing is still handmade. I was particularly interested in the beautiful headscarves worn by both men and women, and was told they are imported from Nigeria

I visited a botanical garden and was particularly interested in the medicinal plants, many of which have not been introduced in America. There was also a couple of artisans selling their work, but we were advised by the guide not to purchase from them. We later found out that the reason was that the guide managed the official shop, which unfortunately contained little of quality or interest.

We also stopped at the Wildlife Center, a refuge for orphaned and injured lowland gorillas, gibbons and drills. The confines were somewhat small, but the thought that these magnificent animals would be releases into the wild was reassuring since all are severely endangered.

 

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

you are keeping it simple and I can feel that you are 'flowing'. Pinch yourself ;)

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

It's incredible, Mary. Having a great time and seeing zoomed really interesting stuff. The serious paintings will come later!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...