Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

9/4/13

Five on a Prairie, painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Five on a Prairie, 2013, Jo-Ann Sanborn
Acrylic on canvas, 12x12
 
 
I've been experimenting using the transparent acrylic paints in the same manner as I've been using on the oils.  On a white canvas, laying in the transparent paints first, quite wet, in dark local color, with some brights in areas I expect them to be later.  Then, rendering the scene over the top of the wet color,using smaller amounts of opaque paint and very little additional water. 
 
Most of my paintings are completed with one brush.  I clean it with water and wiping it off with paper towel if the surface starts to get muddy.  I have to work quickly, but can cut in and build better in the acrylics than with the oils.  Hold habits die hard, and I'm still experimenting with both technique and color. 
 
You might see today's scene, Five on a Prairie,  on a drive from Marco Island or Naples to Miami.  Look for it on Rt. 41 going west after crossing Rt. 27. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...