Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

9/26/13

Painting brushes and Sunset, a daily painting by Everglades Artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Sunset, 2013, Jo-Ann Sanborn
oil on board, 5"x7"
 
 
 
Even though I've been painting in acrylic for 20 years, I'm new to regularly painting with oil paint,  and only have two brushes dedicated to the oils.  They are synthetic mongoose, a little softer than most of my acrylic brushes which are natural boar bristle.  Since I often scrub the canvas with acrylic paint, the brushes actually wear down--sometimes to a point or stub. 
 
I don't scrub with the oil brushes, but they are beginning to show wear.  Not just that, but their bristles are beginning to curl individually on the edges, and interfere with making fine lines.  I've tried cleaning them and using a close-pin to repoint them, but as soon as I get busy painting and the brushes are saturated, the curls come back. 
 
So, like today's daily painting, it's time to "Sunset" them, or to use them for broader strokes, and order a couple of new brushes for the finer work.  Comparing materials and prices is necessary, but always takes longer than I'd like. The Monarchs are a very nice brush, but may try another type just to learn the differences.  Do you have a favorite oil brush brand that you can't be without? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...