Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

8/17/15

Seaworthy, daily painting by Jo-Ann Sanborn



At one point in my life I did quite a bit of sailing.  I didn't particularly care about going out for an afternoon sail, but I loved being aboard for a week or two at a time.  Life became smaller and richer by being confined.  Time slowed down, and became marked by the sun and the moon, wind and waves, currents and bridges. 

In good weather, the smallest diversions became important--sighting of a seal or turtle or special cloud could be the most important event of the day.  Sometimes plans would have to change with the weather.   Really bad weather could mean holing up in a safe harbor for a day or two with little to do except ensuring the anchor was secure. 

Just last week I caught sight of the Marco Island Micky fleet.  It was comprised of a group of children learning to sail. I always donate a painting for their annual auction in the hopes that sailing lessons will instill a love of being on the water that will stay with those the kids through the years. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...