Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

4/9/18

Limiting your palette and Dancing in the Glades daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Dancing in the Glades, 2018, Jo-Ann Sanborn
Acrylic on board. 7” x 5”

The wind was blowing in the Glades on the day of this daily painting. I found a place there was no smoke and no evidence of the fires.  It didn't take long to get the feeling for the spot.  I'll work on a larger version in the studio.

In my Monday morning class we've been talking about limited palettes.  I most often use a double primary palette with some "visitor" colors, usually a neutral. Lately I'll just squirt out another color when I want it, sometimes upsetting the harmony of the painting. 

Time to return to the basics.  I've returned to a palette of red, blue, and yellow many times over the years, but would like to experiment a bit more.  I'll try several options in the next couple of weeks.  Perhaps I'll try magenta, Indian yellow and Phalo blue.  I'm also interested in doing a painting with the Zorn palette. 

Color changes will shake up my color strategies and force me to watch my values! What's your favorite limited palette?  Let me know below.  

Next /Grand Everglades Adventure Coming soon,  Links to the first three are below. 


Grand Everglades Adventure #4 coming 4/14



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...