Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

2/17/10

Inner peace, Morning Peace painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Morning Peace
16x20, acrylic on canvas
$500

I had the good fortune to be interviewed by a delightful young woman doing a research paper on what inspires artists, particularly those who find the beauty of the Everglades worth recording through art. We spoke for some time, as she asked me to define what it was about my special place, the Everglades, that makes it important for me to paint.

Talking about the Everglades is something that comes easily to me. I told her that the bold forms of the palms thrusting up out of the prairies, the quiet gurgle of the moving water, or the rustle of the breeze through the leaves of a cypress dome, the way dancing light played on the sawgrass compelled me to my canvas and provided endless inspiration.

She wanted something deeper, though, and as we spoke she drew out of me that the ties humans have with uninhabited places fills an emptiness of the soul. That as we contemplate the timelessness of an ancient place, and let it's beauty slowly become part of us, the we may find peace that may elude us in other circumstances.

I find inner peace on the edges of a prairie in the Everglades, in the morning light as the sun informs the dawn, in the breeze as Old Mother West Wind's children play. I'm absolutely delighted when one of my paintings can make you feel it, too!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...