Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

7/23/10

Mostly Yellow, 2010, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 5"x7"

People ask me where a particular painting was painted. It's a great way to start a conversation about the piece. I'm happy to tell them. Most all of my paintings are painted of a particular location, one that I've visited and means something to me. As I'm searching for just the right feel for the painting I'm remembering the gentle trickle of the water or the whisper of the wind of the location to help me with it's interpretation.

If you're another artist, you might bring a critical or admiring eye to viewing a painting. You may want to look closely at color or form or composition, and see what you can learn, or how the work differs from what you do.

As a collector, you bring a sense of personal knowledge to the viewing. You might bring your wishes, your dreams and your memories. Perhaps the piece reminds you of a place you knew and loved as a child. Perhaps it looks like somewhere you walked with a friend, met a lover, or had a personal Epiphany.

Perhaps the depth of the work appeals to you. Maybe the colors are ones you and want to surround yourself with. Maybe the forms energize you or the peaceful flow of the water brings you peace.

Bringing together of the idea of the artist and the soul of the viewer that makes art worth doing! What do you bring to the viewing of a painting?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...