Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

7/30/10

Me & Monet, painting by Everglades artist JoAnn Sanborn

After Monet by JoAnn Sanborn
acrylic on canvas, 18x24

Surprise! Today's painting isn't an Everglades scene. It started out as a copy of a painting by Claude Monet, one of a scene from the lily pond at Giverney. Like most of my canvases, once I have the block-out done I go my own way, with just a reference here and there to my source.

I did this particular painting rather quickly because I intended to hang it when friends came for a French themed cocktail hour. However, in my haste I didn't notice the size, and when I went to frame it for the dining room, I didn't have the right size frame on hand. Monet wouldn't have had such a problem!

There's something envious about the way Monet was able to manage his life and his property around his art. I've been to Giverney and it is lovely. The comfortable home opens onto a garden with rose arbors leading down a romantic path to the lily pond.

His life wasn't always easy, but by the time he purchased Giverney, Monet knew what he was after. His family provided just the right food at the right times of day not to interfere with his painting, his gardeners worked to create his landscape vision for the property for the best light on his roses, company was invited to visit according to his painting schedule, and his paintings of dancing light and color are uniquely wonderful and have withstood the test of time.

I'm just a tiny bit envious. Would there be a chance I'll be remembered into the next millennium if I can just learn how to order my life to be subordinate to my art?

2 comments:

Roxanne Steed said...

I agree!! I love the thoughts on this one! (and am especially impressed that you worked so quickly to finish this painting for a party!!! very cool!

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

Well, I have to admit that it's easier to do a quick mock-up painting when you're looking to copy! Just a fun touch for the party -- it won't go for sale.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...