Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

3/4/11

Signing and dating paintings

Pond with Bald Cypress, Jo-Ann Sanborn, 2011
acrylic on canvas, 5"x7"

I sign and date my paintings with charcoal pencil on the back. This practice probably comes from owning a small painting of an uncle dated 1942. It’s a painting of some pink roses in a basket, darkish background, light on the flowers, with a couple of bees flying around. I wonder if the flowers were real and the basket of roses sat on a porch scenting the warm summer air drawing bees while my aunt sipped lemonade and chatted with my uncle as he painted. I wonder why he wasn’t at war, and how he had time to paint during that difficult year. I like knowing the year.

So I sign and date and name my paintings on the back with a charcoal pencil, knowing there’s a risk that someone may refuse to purchase because the painting might not be my newest work. Usually paintings sell within a year or two, but sometimes one hangs about the studio for a while, just waiting for a collector who will immediately identify with the work, love and understand it where no one else has felt that connection.

Occasionally, however, familiarity breeds a desire to improve, and I’ll take up my brush and alter the painting in some way. Curving a line a little more, or adding a spot of light might enhance the value or the composition and doesn’t really change things and the painting is better because of it.

Sometimes, however, a painting just hasn’t reached the point of being all it can be, and major redevelopment occurs. What do I do with the date when this happens? Usually nothing, if the adjustments are minor, but if it’s a major revision, I’ll note that on the back. Why not? To call yourself an artist is to grown and learn, and when that happens, there’s no shame to admitting it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...