Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

3/30/11

Meet and Greet, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 5"x7"

Today's Everglades painting is really all about meeting and greeting others. One of the pleasures of having a studio in commercial space with the Artist Colony at the Esplanade on Marco Island is that I get to meet all kinds of interesting people who wander in while I'm working.  You never know who'll come in, and if you like to meet and greet, there's plenty of opportunity.

Dreama Tolle Perry was in the studio la couple of weeks ago.  She was visiting Marco Island for a few days of respite, and wandered in with her husband and a friend. We chatted before I knew who she was, and was almost overcome over when I discovered who I was speaking with! If you don’t know Dreama, she is an artist, and half of the team that produces the weekly radio show Artists helping Artists. Her paintings are colorful and fabulous, and she’s lovely and gracious, and just as delightful as she sounds on the radio.

One of the things she noticed right away was my method of paint organization. I have a clear, over-the-door shoe holder to hold my paint supply, and use it to organize the tubes by color. It’s very easy to see what colors you have on hand and what it’s time to order. Dreama thought it was a clever idea, and two shows later spoke on the show about this method being a helpful tip for artists.

The show is terrific, geared to helping developing artists market their best work, but there’s plenty of substance for mid-career artists as well. This particular show answered a question of artist Mary Sheehan Winn, another artist and friend who stopped by two days after Dreama. The shows are all recorded and can be listened to while you paint or work on something that doesn’t require much attention. Listen in, and tell Dreama I sent you!

I'm going to work on getting Dreama Tolle Perry and her radio and sometimes workshop partner Leslie Saita to come to Marco for a workshop.  Would you like that, too?  If so, let me know! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...