Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

5/30/11

Long on Memory daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Long on Memory, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 6"6"

My dad was a veteran of World War II, and every Memorial Day a small flag is placed on his grave by the local veteran's organization.  He wasn't killed in the war, but did die young, and the sight of a flag on any veteran's grave makes me appreciate, once again, the sacrifices that young men and women made and still make for our freedom. 

As a child, on the evening before Memorial Day students in my neighborhood would gather up bunches of lilacs and march from the school to a nearby Veteran's Monument by the river for a service of remembrance.  The lilacs grew wild in abundance then, and the smell of them still reminds me of those evenings and placing my flowers around the edge of the monument at the end of the program. 

Here on Marco, Veterans place flags all along the median on Collier Blvd. It's a simple gesture, but one that makes us remember the solemness of the holiday as we go about our boating and family picnics.  A groundbreaking for a memorial in Veteran's Park was held recently.  The memorial will become the center of our collective memory of service-related loss here on the island.

If you are a Veteran or our armed services, or still serving, thank you for your service.  I'm very grateful for your sacrifice. 

2 comments:

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

That is so cool about the lilacs. I wish school would still do things like that. I bet the flags look wonderful too. I miss Marco and Naples. I know I'm only there 3 months, but it's a wonderful area to live.

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

It's been really beautiful lately with the summer clouds building again. When do you come back? We'll have to get together--sometimes I initiate artists lunches, so let me know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...