Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

5/16/11

Organizing your day, Near the Water daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Near the Water, Jo-Ann Sanborn
Acrylic on board, 5"x7", Sold

It's frustrating when things take twice as long as they should, especially when you have scheduled only half the time.  Here's how I try to keep up with all that has to be done

A friend gave me a set of three note pads, titled Today, Soon, and Someday.  Thinking of my day in these terms has really helped me to put what I need to get done in proper perspective.  Priority is Today, of course.  Living in the now.  I'm a painter, so I try to spend no more than two hours a day at my desk, then I'm off to the studio, either at home or at the Esplanade.

What must be done, or can I do Today, at my desk, that will promote my artistic goals and maintain my client relationships?  In those two hours I can get a blog post or two ready to go, write thank you notes, read an educational blog, answer important emails, update my inventory list, or update my website.

Anything I have to do that can't get done my time frame goes on my Soon list.  If I have time,  I can watch a video or podcast, work on my quarterly newsletter, or write a press release for the Artist Colony.  By keeping the Soon list, if I have extra time Today, there's already a list for me to work from.   Anything that stays on the soon list for too long will move to Today, on a Monday morning when I'll spend extra time if necessary to catch up.  Business bookkeeping often goes from the Today list to the Soon list and back again.

The Someday pad reminds me that there's always something to work on.  Someday isn't my dream list, but a list of things i want to accomplish when there's extra time.  It might be researching a new technique or piece of studio equipment, developing the format for a new class, or redoing my website or blog design.  Things stay on the Someday list until they are no longer important to me or I have done them Today!

How do you organize your day?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...