Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

11/14/08

Iguanas, Art Show, and Skyline Daily Painting by Everglades Artist JoAnn Sanborn

An exploding green iguana population has become a problem for some people living on the canals of Marco Island. I saw one right in the middle of my own street last week, but by the time I ran for my camera it was gone and hasn't been back. The City of Marco has hired an iguana catcher to help limit the population. This man has a lot of experience with iguanas and caught fifty in just two days work! You can see a picture of one of his catches and read more about them in the Marco Eagle. They're quite handsome, but apparently are a nuisance species here on the barrier islands and will spread rapidly, causing damage to boats and seawalls and spread non-native plants.

This Saturday I'll be showing my work at the Marco Island Center for the Arts Fall Members Arts and Crafts Festival on the grounds of the Art League. This outdoor members show was successful years ago, and now the Art League is trying to bring it back. Since this is the first year of it's revival it's a fairly small show, but a great place to see the work of local artists. Several of Marco Island's well known artists will be there as well as some very talented newcomers. I'll have a nice selection of my collectible original small paintings available as well as some larger work. I never do prints, so each work is an original. Help the Art Center, support the artists, and purchase a special treasure you will enjoy. See you there!

Skyline
5x7
Sold

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was able to capture a short video of one of the iguanas in our back year. He loves sunning himself on our dock. Go to the link below and double click on the photo; the video should then play.


http://gallery.me.com/vkelber#100088/Iguana-20--20Mobile&bgcolor=black

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

Thanks, Vicki. They're fun to watch--so colorful, but apparently not good for our environment. He's georgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love the Art League building! Good luck with the show. I had the opportunity to show with five other Key West artists (small group show) a couple of years back…such a nice venue. I miss Marco and the Everglades......only wish I had more opportunities to paint there while living in Key West. Different landscape now I’m back in England……each place has its own beauty, though.

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

Each place does have it's own beauty, and brings it's own challenges for artists to interpret. Hope you get back to Marco soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...