Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

5/6/09

Shells, Marco Beach, student blog

Shells, shells, and more shells! Head down, bent posture on the beach is a clear sign that someone is harvesting the treasures of the sea. There's a beautiful selection of shells common and occasionally rare to be found on the beautiful white sand of the Marco Island beach. Our beach rivals Sanibel for the best shelling on the Southwest Florida coast.

A dear niece will be married this month here on Marco Island. She's taken shells as her theme and I'm helping with the wedding favors. She'll fill beautiful bottles with a little sand and some shells, and I'm making little folded cards to be tied to the top. So, a little out of my element, I'm drawing, hand painting, (watercolor!) and assembling the cards. I'm pleased with the results, and will show you the finished product next week! Today I'll be working on table cards to match.

We attended the Marco Island Center for the Arts "The Green Period" opening yesterday, It's a beautiful show with so many styles that there's sure to be something to appeal to everyone. We were told that the juror took the name of the show very seriously and eliminated those who didn't conform. The top prize was won by a man that I didn't know, but the next five prizes went to some fabulous artists, four of whom I"m proud to call friend. Congratulations, Ladies!

If you've been a student of mine in the past and didn't receive an invitation to the student blog Painting Marco, please let me know and I'll add you. I'm missing many of your emails. It will be closed to everyone but Sanborn students, and will be a forum for showing and discussing your lastest work, and a way to keep in touch. Check it out and respond to the invitation to be an author! Yes, there will be a little bit of a learning curve, but you can do it!

2 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

What a delightful shell illustration! Your niece will be thrilled. I'm so glad to discover your blog, Jo-Ann, I look forward to seeing more art in the future!!

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

Thanks, Diane. I'm delighted to get to know you, and think your work is lovely. The large tulips were spectacular, and the small paintings charming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...