Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

1/30/10

The Marco Island Wet Paint Live Auction on Thursday night was a great success. Fourteen artists painting around the island during the day, including Jared Stitchcomb who painting in/at the little magrove island. We all brought finished and framed artwork to the Marco Island Center for the Arts for auction, with two paintings shown throughout the week and available for silent auction. The auctioneer and MC worked well together and the crowd came ready to bid. It was a lot of fun, despite the usual nervousness that no one would bid on my work. No paintings went for extraordinarily high amounts, but no paintings were left without bids, so it was successful for all. Half the money raised will be returned to the artists, and the other half go to scholarships for Marco youths.

Here's my set-up earlier in the day. For the first time you had to have your canvas marked, so I had three -- small, medium, and large, thinking I'd do the smaller canvas. When I viewed my subject I knew I needed the bigger canvas, so I painted with terrific speed all day long not sure if I would finish in time. I did, and was pleased with the result. Congratulations and thank you to the high bidder!

Just the night before the Artist Colony at the Esplanade had held our first Last Wednesday Art Walk. It was a great success with a good turnout and quite a bit of interest in our coupons paired with restaurant specials. Thanks to CJ's on the Bay, Guy Havey's Island Grill and Tara's Steak and Lobster House for adding to the fun by providing artist-named specials for the evening. Thanks also to singer Shelley Million who sang in each of the three galleries for an extra special treat. We''ll be doing the Art Walk again next month, so save Feb. 24 on your calendar!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...