Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

1/23/10

Great Blue Heron, Still Waters daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Still Waters
5x7, acrylic on board
Sold
This time of year in the frozen northland it's not unusual to see birds, but you wonder how they survive the cold and snow. Many New England birds will be viewed and counted and lectured about at the Cape Ann Birding Weekend in February.

Here in Southwest Florida we also have many birds. This time of year there are a lot of them, and many are quite large. Some migrate here here to spend the winter, others stopover on their journeys to elsewhere.

This morning as I poured my morning coffee a great blue heron flew down the canal. The sheer size of the bird catches my eye even though I'm only half awake. Because I've left the window open wide, I can hear the beat of wings, and I'm in awe.

The Great Blue Heron is one of the largest North American birds, and lives year round in much of the country, most often somewhere that water meets land. . They eat a varied diet and live in colonies of as many as 500 nests. There's a nice photo here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...