Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

1/10/11

Color Confidence Class, Party in the Glades daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Party in the Glades, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 5"x7

I've been teaching a Color Confidence class, and have decided to share more information about making a painting, and my experiences with acrylic paints.  Teaching helps me to organize what I know, and to put it into sequences that will make sense to a student.  I feel strongly about giving students a practical foundation for making a painting.

There are "rules," and you need to know and understand them to make paintings that people will identify with and want to own.  There's just no way around this.  You can break the rules, sometimes gloriously, but you should know what the rules are to get you out of trouble when you need them. 

It may be one reason my classes are popular--I teach the rules!  In Color Confidence, the first thing we needed was a vocabulary for talking about color.  Students come from all walks of life and with varied art experiences.  I want to be sure we're talking the same language, so my first handout is a Color Vocabulary.  You can see mine and download one here if you'd like.  You may find you want to add your own words, too!

It's a four week class, and we'll cover color value, color temperature, color harmonies, and color mixing.  We'll do exercises in each of these subjects to reinforce the lesson, and students will go home with handouts about what we've learned.  It's a sharing class, and some of the students have years of experience as a painter.  I learn, too. 

2 comments:

Judie said...

Hey, thanks for your nice comment on my post. We are trying to put ourselves back together today, but it will take some time.
I am glad that you are teaching "the rules." I am a FIRM believer in learning the rules, and stress them in my classes.

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

The events that took place in AZ are so sad and your post was right-on! I had good foundtion classes myself, and like to be sure my students get that too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...