Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

1/3/11

Three words for 2011, First of the Year Everglades painting by Jo-Ann Sanborn

First of the Year, 2010, Jo-Ann Sanborn
Acrylic on canvas, 16"x20"

Starting off the New Year and prompted by Chris Brogan's post, I've chosen three words to help guide me in 2011.  It's a great exercise if you haven't tried it.  I'll put my words above my desk, and in the studio, too, as a reminder of what's important to me in 2011.

After some thought (and putting off patience, also needing much work) my first word is LOVE.  Not everyone gets enough, and it's a good thing to spread more around.  Sometimes I get so caught up in all the things that have to be done, important and not, it may seem I come up little short in the love department.  It will be a good reminder for me to love first, and to be reminded that everything else comes second.  Everything!

The second word to help guide me this year will be FOCUS.  It's been a busy year with some unexpected and sometimes difficult demands on my time.  It's easy to lose focus and not follow through in the way I have come to expect of myself.  Focus is especially important to an artist, and focus needs to be recognized as important to me.  If I don't have the time or interest to really focus, it's probably something I don't need to be doing. 

GROWTH is my third word. Sometimes I get myself into a holding pattern, or box myself in with commitments.  This leaves no room for growth.  If I leave enough room to breath perhaps there will be room for growth, as an artist, as a person, and in my garden, too.

Just a reminder that my Color Confidence class starts tomorrow at the Art League of Marco Island!  We'll cover color mixing, color values, color temperature and color harmony.  Come along! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...