Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

8/20/12

Exchanging a Painting, and On Their Way to a Dance, by Everglades Artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

On their Way to a Dance, 2004, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on canvas, 24x30


On their Way to a Dance is an older painting that has recently been returned to me.   I'm delighted that most people are happy for years with the painting they have chosen, but if it no longer works for you I'd much rather have it back than auctioned off on Ebay! The only catch is that you need to exchange it for another painting of mine.    

Some artists don't date their work, but I started dating my paintings years ago, and believe that the dates are fun to know and also will inform my periods of development as an artist over time.  This one was painted back in 2004.  

The collector enjoyed it for years, but found recently that the painting's warm colors no longer worked in her room.  Remembering my policy, she contacted me about return, and came in to the studio to choose another painting.  She choose one about the same size but in cooler tones, and paid the difference between what she had originally paid and the new painting's current price.

While only used twice in all my years of business, returning a painting for full credit towards a new one is a service I offer my collectors. It works because I have had a consistent price policy, keep good records, and my paintings have gradually climbed in value.  

I get to see and enjoy older paintings like I would an old friend.  If it happens to be one I might groan over today, I can take it off the market.  My client has a new painting with a nice discount of the cost she paid for the old one.  I'm happy there's still a Sanborn painting on her wall.  The painting will re-sell at today's prices.  Win-win! 

On Their Way to a Dance is newly available, and if you can use a painting in the pinkie, orangie warm tones, it just might work for you!

Happy birthday, Jess!  Hope it's a lovely one, dear.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...