Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

9/25/15

Fall, and Way Out There, daily painting by Everglades Artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Way Out There, 2015, Jo-Ann Sanborn
Acrylic on canvas, 12" x 12"

By September, we've had enough of the rains and high humidity, and I long for the crisp blue-sky days and colorful maples and oaks of a New England fall. When my sister was in Hawaii  and I was still in New England, I would send her fall leaves ironed between two sheets of wax paper, so she wouldn't forget her roots!  

In the northeast, the bright yellow-greens of spring transition into the rich, full, permanent greens of summer and gradually fade to the olive greens of fall.  Some years the trees sport magnificent riots of color for weeks, depending on the timing of rain and wind and other factors of weather.  From all reports, this year will be a good one for fall color.   

Here in south Florida, nature is beginning to respond to the cycle of changing light and moisture in much more subtle ways. In the Everglades, the lush greens of summer will slowly fade to the golds of autumn, and then to the pinkish-purplish-grays of the dry season.  Yes, you will see purple way out there.  

Greens are always a challenge to a landscape painter.  We need to be able to vary them to show a variety of  plant life and also distance.  Permanent green is not my favorite color. but I've been given a few tubes by a friend who no longer paints.  I'm getting better at using it by mixing with various reds to make some nice greens.  Still, I'll give a tube of permanent green to the first artist who comes into my studio and asks for it!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...