Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

9/17/08

Falling Leaves








Here are a couple of mixed media illustrations from another children's story just completed and delivered. This one is about the end of summer, where the woodland friends are eating ripe berries of the blackberry patch and later, asleep in the falling leaves. It's a cute story and a challenge to illustrate since the subject matter is so far from my usual. The client has some very definite ideas about what each illustration should contain. My next assignment is about bees, so I'm sketching bees and meadow flowers! I draw and sketch until the characters come clear and I'm comfortable with each of them before I begin the final paintings. Bringing me back to drawing is one of the best benefits of this assignment, but working with watercolors gives me a new appreciation for those who do it well!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...