Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

6/19/09

Hurricane Cut, I've got the Blues, daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Glades Watchers
12x16, acrylic on canvas
Sold

I've got the Blues is another painting in my elongated palm series. I'm still investigating both color and composition as the the series continues. Although I love the drama of the tall palms, it's prompted when I see the severe cutting inflicted on palm trees as some people continue the practice of give the palms their annual hurricane cut.

Deep in the Everglades, the hurricanes trim the palms. When done on purpose, the hurricane cut is quite detrimental to the health and the life of any palm. The hurricane cut removes all the fronds, dead and alive, up to a 45-degree angle. This reduces the ability of the tree to support it's critical functions of growth, storage, and defense.

This harmful practice has been documented to increase, not decrease, damage in a hurricane. Here you can see pictures of the damage it can cause, and here learn the right way to prune your palms! A hurricane cut is never appropriate, and some communities are now banning the practice!

Our monthly Tabletalk art luncheon was held yesterday. Our only rule is that the subject must be art, and we take turns telling about our month's work, discussion art matters, and enjoy a show-and-tell or critique. So far, been a women's group. Yesterday, for the first time a male artist attended! Shocking, but why not? It didn't seem any different since we were all talking art. Will he come back next month? Bring friends? A gender neutral round table about art? Wow.

1 comment:

Rob Hazzard said...

Just love your elongated palms, for obvious reasons they always make me think of giraffes.

As a stay-at-home dad I can relate to the only man at your women's artist group. I can just hear him thinking "what did I get myself into...." Honestly, I think it's great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...