Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

6/29/09

Turner, Simon Schama, From the Beach daily painting by Florida Jo-Ann Sanborn


From the Beach
16x20
acrylic on canvas
I've been working on getting more depth in the single color passages in my paintings in order to deepen the richness of the images, and this new painting is an example. I was born in Gloucester, MA, a place of sea and light, and sometimes my past creeps into my studio and onto my canvases!

Richness of atmosphere immediately brings to mind JMW Turner, a British artist of the 18th century. The elusive mystery of his canvases have always intrigued me, and I've been thinking about them more following his show last year at Metropolitan Museum of Art.

A wonderful way to learn more about Turner, and other famous artists is to listen to the Youtube videos of professor Simon Schama. His series on the Power of Art is not-to-miss fabulous! You can find the first Turner one here, but don't stop with just one. His series on other artists are just as good.

4 comments:

Rob Hazzard said...

Very luminous with a great sense of depth. Love the colors too.

Anonymous said...

I love this piece, JoAnn, Luminous is the word! It really touches something deep inside. Can't wait to see it up close.
Tara O'Neill

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Dear Jo-Ann, just found out about your work from Linda on Facebook. She has a good eye for excellent art. Your work is excellent. I will be returning many times.

Jo-Ann Sanborn said...

Thanks, Tara & Rob. Luminous is always a goal, but so seldome achieved! Turner is such an inspiration.

Delighted to have you looking, Joan. Linda is a wonderful artist and great internet friend. I am pleased to own one of her paintings and value her friendship.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...