Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

10/19/12

Obligations to others, and Don't Look Back, daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Don't look Back, 2012, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 5x7
 
 


As I strike out in a studio/gallery alone, I'm thinking about my obligations to others as an artist and a person?  What do I owe others? Writing down these thoughts helps me to focus, and gives me something to measure by.  Here's what I've come up with so far. 

For myself
     Make original work
     Make it as well as I can
     Strive to grow in skill and knowledge
     Give good value for the price of my work

For my collectors
     Make quality artwork that will last
     Make work that is unique and special
     Stand behind my  work
     Show them I appreciate their support

For my students
     Give the very best I can in each class
     Encourage all honest efforts and never give harsh critique
     Support growth through generous sharing of knowledge

Towards my fellow artists
     Make only original work--don't copy or steal
     Support always, encouraging their success,
     Attend shows and events
     Speak well of anther's work

 Can you think of otoher obligations or duties of the art world that should be on my list?  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...