Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

10/31/12

What is original art? Summer Sky, painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn


Summer Sky, 2012, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on canvas, 12"x24"

My paintings are all original works of art.   I said this to someone in the studio recently and wasn't sure they understood.  I don't mean to sound preachy about it, but want to define what making original art means to me. 

Getting my response to a subject down on canvas in a meaningful way is the challenge of being original.  Over and over again, never quite able to do nature justice.  Growing and learning along the way, every day.  Doing it my way, while respectfully mindful of the knowledge and history of artists before me and beside me. 

Familiarity with the subject.  For me,  the Everglades and the South Florida environment.  I spend a lot of time in the Everglades, and outside in general.  Certain aspects of the landscape are more interesting than others on any given day, but the fabulous Everglades landscape that I love never fails to inspire me.

This almost always has something to do with the way light plays on or around the subject.  Sometimes light reveals the object, sometimes defines it, and sometimes it invades an object or area in a way not often seen.  When it's not light, it's color, or a combination of light and color.  I'm inspired to create a painting of THAT in a way that is from the heart and uniquely mine. 

Copying or reproducing are not part of original, although they may have a valued place in some artist business plans.   Observing something special and exploring ways to portray it are what makes an original work of art no matter the genre.  At least that's my take on original. 

Today's painting, Summer Sky is an original work of art.  The inspiration for today's painting is a little piece of the Everglades that I find quite peaceful and love to visit.  I love the way the marsh falls off to the right, and the shapes of the hardwood hammocks in the distance.  This particular day the rainy season clouds were building on the horizon, but there was no real threat of rain. 

Have a Happy Halloween!   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...