Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

5/21/08

Verticals & Red

One of my daughters tells me that my Everglades work is all about a balance of verticals and horizontals. It's very possible that she's right! The upright palms against almost any vertical background continue to interest me. When I come across them, whether a group, a clump, or a line, I am compelled to explore the scene further in a painting. Sometimes it's about trying to get the most distance possible out of the scene. Sometimes it's about a balance of color or light. In this painting it's about getting past the confrontational aspects of the landscape and into it's heart.
Several of my paintings have been selected by curator Jack O'Brien into a show called Florida Naturally at Physician's Regional Medical Center on Pine Ridge Road. My work is the soft counterpoint to a number of landscape photographs. If you love the Florida landscape you'll enjoy the show. Stop by before August 20. They have a wonderful cafeteria if you're out for lunch!

Verticals & Red
5" x 7" (12.7cm x 17.8cm)
acrylic on canvas
$150 plus $12 shipping and handling in the US
E-mail me for International shipping rates or other inquiries.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, enjoy these paintings- contrasts in horizontal, vertical, warm and cool.
Something so beguiling about those long, tall lollipop like palms that s define so many parts of Florida.

Great that you've been in a productive mode and getting your work selected to show and share with the public.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...