Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

5/27/08

Three's a Crowd

You might like to know a little about how prepare for a painting. I almost always work on a stretched canvas, and usually prepare the canvases ahead of time. I tend to scrub and work the surfaces pretty hard, so professionally stretched canvases work best for me. If the canvas is not at least double primed, I add a coat or more of acrylic gesso, and sanding after each coat. This gives a nice "tooth" to the canvas. I don't overdo the gesso or the sanding, because the texture of a medium canvas has a welcome naturalness that I enjoy. Then I usually paint the canvases a warm dark. This can be any dark mix of red and blue I happen to have around my studio. I usually do the whole order at once so there's always just the right canvas available when I'm ready to start a painting. You can expect this quality preparation when you purchase a Sanborn painting!

Three's a Crowd
12" x 12" (30.5cm x 30.5cm)
acrylic on canvas
$300 plus $15 shipping and handling in the US
E-mail me for International shipping rates or other inquiries.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...