Florida painter, Everglades, Marco Island, artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

6/1/13

Coulter Easel, and Sable, daily painting by Everglades artist Jo-Ann Sanborn

Sable, 2013, Jo-Ann Sanborn
acrylic on board, 5"x7"


I've had my plein aire Julian easel for almost 20 years.  I've loved having everything inside ready to go at a moment's notice, and just needed paper towels and some water to complete my outdoor painting equipment for my frequent trips to the Everglades.   
 
Old "Julie" has held up well under years of hard use but the time has come for replacement.  I've been looking with envy at some newer styled equipment for quite some time and talked with other artists about what they liked and didn't like about their equipment.  I wanted something quick to set up and light weight, but would do the job under sometimes difficult conditions. 
 
Finally, after looking closely at several options, I decided on a Coulter Plein Air System.


 If I can stick to a limited palette and not keep adding just one more tube of color the whole set-up will be a weight I can manage easily.  I especially love the lightweight tripod with the quick release panel holder.  Plexiglass panels fit inside should work well for a mixing surface.
 
Since I love to travel and plan to take advantage of travel opportunities when possible, I chose the compact model since it will fit into a medium sized suitcase.  I also ordered  some RayMar panels, a favorite of mine.  They are light-weight, and a nice medium canvas.  Wish I could get the linen primed for acrylic!  
 
What's your plein-air setup?  Do you have a favorite piece of plein-aire equipment? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...